Monument Cleaning Policies

• Wednesday, October 30, 2019 6:55 PM
    Reply # 8084532 on 8082794
    Anonymous
    Anonymous wrote:
    Anonymous wrote:

Hello Deneice. I wanted to follow up on this to see if you received the info you were looking for. I cannot recall if we had shared some info via email.

No.  I have not received any answers to my request for monument cleaning and repair policies.

Deneice,

Attached is a 2-page handout that we use for clients entitled, "Caring for your Monuments" that deals primarily with cleaning. It describes various methods and why most are not appropriate. In general, I would also not recommend cleaning more than every 2-3 years at most. Remember that every cleaning episode causes some loss of stone and may further endanger a monument if spalling, unsteady, etc.

In terms of repair; in brief, I discourage any treatment of a monument without first obtaining a treatment proposal that very specifically outlines the current condition and the treatment approach (meaning specifically what is to be accomplished and precisely how that will be achieved). The proposal should also specify that upon completion, you will receive a treatment report that includes before and after (and during, if appropriate) photographs, and further details on what was done, the techniques used, and the materials employed. Individuals performing such treatments should conform to the American Institute of Conservation's Standards and Ethics.

I hope this helps.

Best, Michael Trinkley

1 file
  • Tuesday, October 29, 2019 4:27 PM
    Reply # 8082794 on 7666595
    Anonymous
    Anonymous wrote:

Hello Deneice. I wanted to follow up on this to see if you received the info you were looking for. I cannot recall if we had shared some info via email.

No.  I have not received any answers to my request for monument cleaning and repair policies.

• Wednesday, June 26, 2019 8:52 AM
    Reply # 7666595 on 7138251
    Anonymous

• Wednesday, January 30, 2019 7:44 PM
    Message # 7138251
    Anonymous
    The Cemetery Stewardship Commission in Madison, GA, is soliciting sample guidelines/policies regarding the repair of tombstones/monuments.  We want to develop a general policy on repair.  Please send information to deneice615@gmail.com.  Thank you.

Upcoming events

• No upcoming events

Recent forum updates

Blog posts

"Georgia Municipal Cemetery Association" is a 501(c)6 non-profit organization. Georgia , 330 Bonaventure Rd., Savannah, GA 31404